Instructions on how to use eSUN cleaning filament

williamWilliam Intservo
  • 4 Aug '17

eSUN Cleaning Filament

Distributed By IntServo USA     www.intservo.com

1. Cleaning filament

Appearance: white translucent

Uses:   Cleans the extruder’s interior by removing accumulated residual

filaments while the cleaning rod passes through the extruder.

Advantages:

1. Good heat stability, passes normally through the extruder under the temperature range of 150–260°C when carrying out temperature trials of cleaning filament on the 3D printer, indicating that a wide range of temperatures can be used for cleaning.
  2. Possesses a certain level of adhesive quality, allowing the removal of residual filaments to prevent the clogging of the extruder by carbonized residual filaments.
  3. Does not easily disintegrate or break down at high temperatures, will not clog extruder even if it stays in the extruder for long periods of time.
  4. During the interchange of filaments with different extrusion temperatures, using the cleaning filament as an intermediary filament to pass through the extruder can prevent low-extrusion temperature filaments from disintegrating and clogging the extruder as the extruder temperature increases; similarly, it can prevent high-extrusion temperature filaments from cooling and solidifying inside the extruder as the extruder temperature decreases.

2. Usage Instructions

1. Cleaning filament can be used both before and after printing. Before using the cleaning filament, first ensure that the extruder temperature is maintained at the previous filament’s extrusion temperature. Cut 1 feet cleaning filament and insert into the extruder and allow the accumulated residual filament to completely exit the extruder. Once this step is completed, filament direction can be reversed to remove the cleaning filament.
  2. Cleaning filament can also be used as an intermediary filament between different filament types (of different extrusion temperatures, or of different colors). After printing using filaments with high/low extrusion temperature, first ensure that the extruder temperature is maintained at the previous filament’s extrusion temperature. Insert 1–2 cleaning filament into the extruder and allow the accumulated residual filament to completely exit the extruder.  Once this step is completed, filament direction can be reversed to remove the cleaning filament. The extruder temperature can then be decreased/increased to that of the next filament to be used, respectively. Note: Before using the cleaning filament, first ensure that the extruder temperature is maintained at the previous filament’s extrusion temperature.  After using the cleaning filament, filament direction can be reversed to remove the cleaning filament.
  3. Cold pull: Go to normal extrusion temperatures, push cleaning filament through until it comes out clear.  Then turn off hotend and watch the temperature goes down passively till anywhere between 85 and 110 Celsius.  Then gently pull till it pulls out.  Usually at the end of it you can see it sticks with debris.  Repeat the process a few times till you see it clean.  You may drop the temperature further and pull.  The cold pull can pull debris all the way down near the tip.  However, if you have some crystalized stuff stick near the tip, it may not able to get there.  You may have to use a thin needle to clean the tip mouth.

4. Main applications of cleaning filament:
    1. To clean the 3D printer’s extruder before and after printing.
    2. To function as an intermediary filament between different filament types with different extrusion temperatures.
    3. To function as an intermediary filament between the same filament type with different colors.
    4. To function as an intermediary filament between different filament types with wide differences in composition, color etc.

Tips on using the cleaning filament:
1. The cleaning filament is recommended to clean up extruder after printing, or changing materials/colors.  It is like oil change for your car.  It is not a material for printing products.
2. If your extruder is already blocked mostly, the cleaning filament might not able to pull out too big debris.
3. Hand feed a foot long or two of cleaning filament into your hot extruder.  Its sticky nature can help pull out small debris and also prime the hotend for smooth flow.
4. Cleaning filament melts in a very wide range of temperature, from 160 Celsius to 260 Celsius.
5. Some clients even do cold pull with cleaning filament and had good success with pulling large debris out of extruder.
6. If you printed a high temperature material such as ABS and want to switch to lower temperature materials such as PLA, be sure to set extruder to ABS temperature and run a foot long of this cleaning filament.
7. After you ran the cleaning filament, loaded new filament and set to the right print temperature, extrude a few feet of new filament to further flush off residues and cleaning filament so that you have a perfect start for your new print.  The more often you use cleaning filament, the quicker the process.

INTSERVO is the exclusively authorized eSUN distributor and brand manager on Amazon
eSUN offers PLA, PLA PRO(PLA+), ABS, ABS+, PETG, Cleaning, ePC(PolyCarbonate), ePA(Nylon), ePA-CF(Carbon-Fiber Filled Nylon), Bronze, PVA, eFlex TPU, eLastic TPE, HIPS, low temperature PCL polymorph based 3D Pen and more.

Customer Support:  cs@intservo.com

ravirileyRavi Riley
  • 15 Oct '17

This stuff works great! It saves wasted plastic when switching between materials. Even with black ABS to white PLA this cleaning filament saves a lot of time and filament of what you print with because it purges out the filament and its traces much faster than purging a bunch of PLA.

ctgreybeardWilliam Waggoner
  • 8 Nov '17

Agreed wholeheartedly. I use it every time I change colors or materials. I just read about the "cold pull" method which I think I will try the next time I get a chance. I wonder what I will pull up from the depths of the extruder? 😇